URGENT! A NORRA MEXICAN 1000 RALLY ALERT!
April 5, 2017. (Agua Dulce, Calif.): The NORRA Mexican 1000 has grown into a huge event wherever it goes. In order to get everyone together in a single spot when the rally rolls into Bay of LA, NORRA will have a “Pit City” there. See map above. 40 dedicated pit spots will be available at $100 each that can be purchased online on a first come first served basis (www.norra.com/fc/store). Teams can set up tents near their vehicle pits. MAG 7 will have their main pit there also to help anyone that needs a hand. NORRA ops will be adjacent to the Start/Finish on Main Street; there will be a bonfire area, music, and a big tent set up. "La Gringa" Bar and Restaurant has a nice resting area to enjoy some ceviche, beef and fish tacos, cold beer, margaritas and prepared drinks. La Gringa will also host the drivers meetings and briefings. Pit City will have showers and bathrooms, a camping area and parking for chasers and trailers. NORRA will bring Bay of LA to life with a big party, all together in one area.
IMPORTANT RALLY DETAILS!
HAVE YOU COMPLETED ONLINE REGISTRATION?
- View your 2017 entry online www.norra.com/vehicle-entries and be sure that you have chosen a vehicle number and have uploaded your profile pictures. If you have not, please log back into your norra account and complete registration.
- Be sure that you have signed your liability waivers and uploaded your driver's license and insurance card.
- Register your co-drivers or have your co-drivers register themselves by opening a NORRA account.
- Purchase your extra party wristbands for crew/guests/family and friends.
- Make sure you have entered ALL vehicle information and supplied photos of your vehicle, driver and co-driver.
Confirm your hotel reservations in each location - if you need assistance finding last minute accommodations, please contact Juan Carlos with Baja Voyager www.bajavoyager.com
VEHICLE INSURANCE ~
Insure your vehicles with Instant Mexican Insurance www.instant-mex-auto-insur.com
TRAVEL TIPS ~Helpful tips for competitors during the rally are to
- Keep your passport (verify it is current) and insurance card on your person.
- When you enter a small town slow down and be watchful for pedestrians.
- Learn the local driving signals and learn how to interpret the local street signs.
- We suggest you keep your policy with you when you leave your vehicle.
- Don't leave unattended luggage in public areas.
- Don't leave valuables inside of your car and in plain sight for anyone to see.
- Have some pesos or greenbacks on you just in case.
- Carry a sat phone with a list of emergency contact numbers including NORRA Ops.
- Write your race frequency and the Weatherman channel on a piece of tape on your dash in case someone asks for it or you need to call.
- Have the itinerary for the hotel at your next location, your pit book or team plan, and some food, water or tequila in case you need to wait for assistance.
You should also bring a laid back, Baja attitude. After all, if youre not having fun in Baja, youre doing it wrong!
SAT PHONES ~
Reserve Sat Phones and other communication devices with Satmodo www.satmodo.com
Beginning in 2010, the National Off Road Racing Association (NORRA) began promoting a rebirth of the NORRA Mexican 1000 rally. The unique off-road rally was co-created by promoter Mike Pearlman to consist of special stages (unlimited speed timed stages in the dirt) linked together by controlled speed liaison / transit sections (highway). The one-of-a-kind, once-a-year, four-day rally includes vintage off-road vehicles and motorcycles, as well as modern desert Rally Raid cars, pre-runner trucks, buggies and motorcycles.
Pearlman's late father Ed and others established the first running of the NORRA Mexican 1000 off-road rally in November of 1967, which eventually became internationally recognized and evolved into the Baja 1000 in the mid-1970's.
The 2016 NORRA Mexican 1000 was supported by Multi-Tool USA, Method Race Wheels, Azunia Tequila, Walker Evans Racing, South Point Hotel Casino, Bilstein Shock Absorbers and Mastercraft/Impact Safety.